Welcome to the Department of Emergency Medicine
Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Department of Emergency Medicine at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School web page. The Academic Department was created on this campus in July, 2005. Since its inception the department has had tremendous growth, increasing contributions to all of the school’s missions.
We started our EMS/Disaster Medicine Fellowship the same year the department was created. Since that time we implemented a mandatory fourth year clerkship in Emergency Medicine. We have introduced Emergency Ultrasound to the institution and have created medical student electives in Emergency Ultrasound and EMS. Our involvement in medical student education has grown beyond the clinical years. We now provide education for 1st and 2nd year students in BLS, ACLS, and Universal Precautions. We serve as a clinical site for Family Medicine and Psychiatry residents and educate residents and students about their role on the hospital “Code Team”.
On July 1, 2010 we commenced our Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Emergency Medicine Residency Program. An ACGME three year accredited program for 18 residents based out of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital offering a variety of rotations including toxicology and ultrasound.
Our faculty provide clinical care for the Emergency Department at our affiliated Academic Medical Center – Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (a Level 1 Trauma Center). The Emergency Department treats approximately 73,000 adult patients a year and admits approximately 27% of patients to the hospital. Our volumes have been growing as evidenced by the 8% increase in patients over the last fiscal year. This pattern is sustaining and we expect to see continued growth in our patient volume. There is a separate department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine at RWJUH. Coverage for the Pediatric Emergency Department is provided by the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Division of the
Department of Pediatrics
Our team of providers consists of physicians (100% Board Certified or Board Prepared in Emergency Medicine), Physician Assistants and Data Control Clerks (scribes). Our administrative staff ensures that the department functions efficiently.
Our faculty is involved in multiple research projects that cover a wide variety of emergency and pre-hospital care related topics.
Our Department is well represented on all RWJUH, RWJMS and RWJMG committees.
Our future initiatives include:
- Implement a Toxicology program in conjunction with our colleagues in the Department of Pediatrics
- Expanding our student teaching sites to other RWJUH affiliates such as RWJUH-Rahway.
- Continue to expand our research in all aspects of Emergency Care
- Continue expansion of our ED based Ultrasound program
Our aim is to accomplish all these and more activities while fulfilling our mission and vision and adhering
to our core values:
- To create an environment that improves patient care through education, research and community outreach.
- To become a nationally recognized center of excellence in emergency medicine while creating a desire for our residency and a demand for our residents.
- Practice evidence based efficient medicine.
- Provide an environment that embraces the evolving scope of practice.
- Provide a team based approach while cultivating unique contributions of members.
Thank you and while we hope you do not need to visit the Emergency Department please know that we are prepared to provide you with caring and compassionate service.
Robert M. Eisenstein, MD FACEP
Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Chief Ambulatory Care Services
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital